Local Plumbers & Gas Engineers. Gas Safe Registered. Boiler installer
Local Plumbers and Gas Engineers

Gas Leak

Gas Leak

An article featured in the Bucks Free Press today exposed the dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. Emergency services had to rush to Springfield Road, Stokenchurch, in the early hours of the morning after suspected gas leak. A male and female were treated by paramedics, while the fire brigade isolated the gas and carried out safety checks.

gas leak

The couple were very lucky not to be seriously harmed by the incident and this should be a warning to all home owners.

It is recommended by the Gas Safe authority that homes with gas central heating and gas appliances should be checked annually. Failing to do so could be putting you at risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning or even gas explosions caused by faulty gas appliances and gas leaks.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal or wood do not burn fully. When a fire burns in an enclosed space, such as a room, the oxygen is gradually used up and replaced with carbon dioxide. The fuel is unable to burn fully and releases carbon monoxide.

After breathing in carbon monoxide, it enters your bloodstream and mixes with haemoglobin (the part of red blood cells that carry oxygen around your body), to form carboxyhaemoglobin. When this happens, the blood is no longer able to carry oxygen, and this lack of oxygen causes the body’s cells and tissue to die.

NHS Carbon Monoxide Poisening

Based on NHS stats, every year in the UK over 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 40 deaths. However, there are simple measures you can take to protect you, your family and/or tenants.

Important

Please take 10 minutes to read our Gas Safety article which will educate you on the dangers, symptoms, precautions and what to do in an emergency. It’s FREE advice.

Gas Safety Advice - READ MORE

Leave a Reply