Boiler Upgrade Scheme – The Ultimate Guide
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) is a government scheme to encourage consumers in the UK to switch to renewable heating solutions, specifically low carbon heating systems, such as heat pumps and biomass boilers.
This scheme will run from 2022 to 2025 and it will be open to homeowners, as well as owners of small business properties, in England and Wales only.
Read on to learn more about how the application process works, the technologies that are covered by the scheme, and how much funding you can get.
So, how does the Boiler Upgrade Scheme work?
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme is an installer-led scheme. This means that the installer will apply for the grant on your behalf. The value of the grant will be taken off the final price you pay.
You can still apply for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme if you’ve received separate funding for other energy efficiency upgrades, such as home insulation.
Before you apply for this scheme, you should check with a certified installer whether a low-carbon heating system is suitable for your property.
Here at Heppelthwaite The Red Van Plumbers, you can benefit from a free consultation, which includes a detailed quote.
Heppelthwaite The Red Van Plumbers are certified installers and all our engineers are certified with the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS), which means that we can carry out installations for low carbon heating systems under the Boiler Upgrade Scheme.
Boiler Upgrade Scheme Eligibility
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme is open to homeowners, as well as owners of small business properties, who live in England and Wales.
You can apply to this scheme if you:
- Own your property (this can be a home or a small business property).
- Have a property with a capacity up to 45kWth (this covers most homes).
- Have a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).
- Your EPC doesn’t have any outstanding recommendations for loft or cavity wall insulation (unless you have an insulation exemption).
What renewable heating solutions are covered by the Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme covers 3 renewable heating solutions:
*The grant will only cover biomass boilers in rural locations and in properties that are not connected to the gas grid.
How much funding can you get?
You can get £5,000 off cost and installation for biomass boilers and air source heat pumps, and £6,000 off cost and installation for ground source heat pumps.
How to Apply to The Boiler Upgrade Scheme
The application process for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme is straightforward and you can start today.
The steps below show how the process works:
- You will need to contact us to discuss your requirements.
- We will then advise you on whether your installation is eligible for a grant under the scheme.
- We will provide a detailed quotation, which will include the grant from the Boiler Upgrade Scheme as a deduction from the total amount.
- We will then apply for the grant on your behalf.
- You will need to confirm that Heppelthwaite The Red Van Plumbers are acting on your behalf with Ofgem when they contact you.
- We will install your chosen low-carbon heating system and carry out all the necessary work.
Learn more about Renewable Heating, Grants, and Incentive Schemes
If you would like to learn more about renewable heating, please do not hesitate to contact our customer care team. We are more than happy to answer any questions you may have about renewable energy heating solutions.
If you’re considering a renewable heating alternative for your property, we provide free advice as well as a free quotation so that you can weigh your options.
Heppelthwaite The Red Van Plumbers is the leading plumbing and heating company in West London. Our offices are based in Bourne End, near High Wycombe.
Consequently, we have renewable heating experts and gas-safe engineers covering a large area, which includes Acton, Wooburn Green, Marlow, Henley, Hemel Hempstead, Hillingdon, Maidenhead, Windsor, Amersham, Reading, Beaconsfield, Gerrard’s Cross, Watford, Redhill, and London. Discover the areas we cover here.
The future is green! Check out all our renewable energy options here.
Read more: The Best Renewable Heating Solutions