What is a combi boiler?
Combi is short for ‘combination’. It refers to the way this type of system serves as both a central heating boiler and a hot water heater. That means there’s no need for a water tank as hot water is provided on demand. As well as saving the space normally taken up by a water tank, a combi boiler saves on hot water costs as well as giving you hot water at mains pressure.
There are some Pros and Cons to having a combi boiler, all of which our technical consultant will look at and advise when providing a free quotation.
- Cheaper: Combi boilers are less complex than traditional heating systems. It is also easier to find replacement parts if anything goes.
- More Efficient: Combi boilers are very efficient compared to older boiler. Replacing your boiler with a newer combi boiler could help you to save £200-300 a year on your heating bills.
- Faster: Combi boilers can provide an unlimited supply of hot water on demand with no waiting time.
- Compact: Combi boiler systems take up less space than conventional heating systems and they don’t require a tank. This makes them ideal for homes with limited space.
- Safer: Cold water in Combi boiler system is safe to drink as it is fed directly from the mains.
- Cleaner: Central heating systems that a combi boiler generally produce less sludge build up, this is because the water is piped directly from the mains opposed to that from a tank.
- Limited Use: If you live in a large house with a number of bathrooms or en suites then a Combi boiler might not be for you. This is because with a combi it is not possible to run more than one shower or bath at a time, or have a hot tap running while showering.
- No Immersion Heater: As there is no water tank if your combi boiler breaks down then you will be left without hot water as well as no central heating, unless of course you have electric.
- Dependence on Mains: You must have good water pressure for a combi. Always check the pressure before having a combi installed. Our technical consultant will do this for you if your getting a quotation from us.
- No Power Shower: As the water pressure is set by the pressure level at the water mains, you can’t have a power shower.
All boiler manufactures will provide combi boiler options and we can supply all the top brands, however our recommendation is the Worcester Bosch Greenstar range. An award winning boiler range and has been recognised by WHICH?
- Great Performance
- Add on’s such as the Wave Thermostat Control
- Up to 8 year warranty
Need an installer or boiler service?
Heppelthwaite the Red Van Plumbers are recognised by WHICH? trusted traders, is a Worcester Bosch platinum installer and can offer great pricing and up to 8 years warranty.